Daily updates on video games and popular culture, along with Australia’s grooviest gaming podcast.

Prepare to die… again

Posted by Erin Marcon On Monday 10 December 20125 COMMENTS

Last year’s most diabolically taxing game is to receive a sequel. Dark Souls II is in development at From Software and according to Namco Bandai, it will feature “a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world”. While the original allowed players to host peer to peer sessions, the follow up will include a “server based multiplayer experience”.

The publisher claims that the new game will feature the “uncompromising challenge” that the series is famous for. Interestingly enough, though, incoming co-director Tomohiro Shibuya has informed Edge that he is aiming to deliver a “more straightforward and understandable” game. From Software is engaged in a precarious balancing act. Can it reach out to a broader audience without alienating its most ardent supporters?

Dark Souls II is slated for release on 360, PS3 and PC. A release date is yet to be announced.

Anyone doubting the nerve shredding qualities of the original is advised to read A Journey into Madness: The Dark Souls Tweets of Jamie Dalzell.

UPDATED 15.03.12 – Trailer added.

Related Posts

5 Comments

1. Cha Holland says:

Super excited about this, but also worried about the “more straightforward and understandable” part. Trusting players to be intelligent, and willing to experiment and piece things together for themselves, is a big part of these games for me.

2. Stephen Foote says:

Looking forward to it, I’m hoping FROM can work on the technical side a bit more and get a stable framerate for this one, in a game with such split second timing I hated going through Blightown for that reason….well that and those damn blowdart guys.

3. Hewso says:

*flame suit on*

I am going to say it. I don’t like Dark Souls. I find it a chore to constantly redo the same area over and over again.

It isn’t that I don’t like it because it is hard. I like hard games. Ninja Gaiden and Xcom are both some of my favorite games and they are both on the hard side of things. For me though Dark Souls difficulty has turned it into a frustrating chore.

Oh I know I am in the minority here.

4. Stephen Foote says:

Don’t worry Hewso, I feel the same way about the spammy BS AI one has to endure in higher difficulty levels of Ninja Gaiden :P Different strokes and all that, while I love Demons Souls and Dark Souls, I can see why people would hate them. I guess when it comes down to it, both games derive their difficulty from the old adage that ‘practice makes perfect’ in that they want you to learn level layouts, attack patterns and the attacks available to you…..although you could probably say the same about NG and XCom :/

5. Cha Holland says:

Nothing’s for everyone. I respond well to Dark Souls because it’s a patient, mental kind of difficulty more than twitch-based. Because that suits me well I haven’t actually had to repeat too much. Whereas I struggle with many faster-paced games that most people wouldn’t consider particularly difficult.

TrackBacks / PingBacks